Thursday, February 23, 2006

Cartoon Controversy

Above: My fatgirls rio baton ode to the diaphanous FAXY, the Evil Wizard Guy & the dangerously agglutinated SQUASH GOBLIN.

I posted the comment below yesterday on CNN's Anderson Cooper 360° Blog. Some of the comments I post on the blog are published. This one wasn't. I'm not sure why. It may have been too similar to other comments or it may have been considered too controversial. Filtering hundreds of comments can't be easy but I wonder about the who and the why of this process. Here is my comment for what it is worth:
I wonder who is instigating these demonstrations. What do they have to gain? The protesters may want to pick their battles with more thought. Are they angry about US occupation and oppression that causes grinding poverty and shortages of basic necessities? Ignorance about what is really going on can cause people to lash out at what appears to be a mere slight yet it represents a deeper hurt. Just think about your family squabbles. They often ignite from the weakest of sparks.
If it isn't obvious the issue being discussed is the demonstrations in the Muslim world over the publishing of several cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed.

Update: According to AC, the 360° Blog got 300,000 hits so far. Does this mean that 300,000 people commented last night or since the blog began about 2 weeks ago? Or does it mean that 300,000 have addressed it with or without comment? Also AC says he reads all of the posted comments. I'm not sure this is such a good idea... There is only so much time in each day. If you like, you may comment on this blog. Before I had it set so that commenters had to be bloggers too. If I hadn't , Internet marketeers would leave bogus comments for their potency enhancement or weight loss products. This is an experiment. If you are an Internet marketeer please refrain from commenting. Thanks.

On the Web:
Anderson Cooper 360° Blog
Ravenscroft Dog Farm: Ice Cream Means War

Check out Annabelle Echo Chicago for a reports about Economic Hitman John Perkins, Welsh music icon & artist, Jon Langford and sculptor, Cynthia Plaster Caster

Check out My Closet for an upcoming review of Iraqi film, The Dreams of Sparrows.


3 comments:

the proprietor said...

Those are not my favorite fgrb characters. A bit too wispily and amorphously drawn for my tastes. The Evil Wizard Guy doesn't look evil, nor can you tell he's a wizard. Plus, both Faxy and the Goblin look strangely phallic. Is that deliberate?

I like your cats, as well as the more developed characters you have such as Galaxy Construction Guy and the little girls and the cat with the light bulb and what looks like an unraveling brain sticking out of his head.

When are you going to develop the fatgirls rio baton brand (or, as the case may be, "anti-brand")? It's too good a name to fail to make the most of. I think your best work is still ahead of you.

happy post-VD
xo

Annabelle Echo said...

Hey Deep H,
Thanks for the kind words. I know you fellas think everything is phallic but honestly most of us ladies love and prefer a cute behind. Check out my post: Trailer Travesty for more info.
I'm about to launch a new blog Dreams & Ex Streams of Echo.
http://echoexstreams.blogspot.com/
Anyway my first post will be about author John Perkins. There is a picture of you also on this post.

Anonymous said...

YOUR BLOG IS BORING. Your so called Evil Wizard Guy looks just like Anderson Cooper and Faxy is an Idiot! I don't understand why you like those guys so much! As for the so called Trailer Travesty that you and the rest of the liberal media write about--well that is just so much hooey! Everyone knows that all the trailers seized in northern Iraq that U.S. intelligence claimed were mobile biological weapons factories were turned over to FEMA to fill weather balloons and to house Katrina victims. And what the hell does Cobra II have to do with the 1st Cavalry? Answer me that! You, Amy Goodman, Al Franken and Anderson Cooper can all play on the outer drive for all I care. And you know what else? It's mighty suspicious that every last one of you has a first name that begins with the letter "A". Mighty suspicious!